Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Here is my changed up version of the Jenny Craig Chicken Sandwich. It is a chicken ceaser salad with garlic bread. Yum!

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Simplicity 2482

Simplicity 2614

So, this is my very first top! I was really excited to find this pattern since it didn't seem to have a complicated collar and no buttons or other fasteners to worry about. What I didn't realize until I got the pattern home is that it had "gathers". When I saw this I was quite worried. In the end, the gathers were the least of my worries.

The toughest part for me was the collar facing! I had a lot of difficulty getting it to lie nicely inside. In the end, it still isn't completely flat, but it is okay and I will live with it.

I have already bought more material to try this one again, so hopefully it will work out better the second time around.

I think the fit is okay, but for my body type (large busted) I'm not entirely sure the gathered top is the most flattering. I plan to wear these under jackets mostly so I am okay with it.

Friday, February 26, 2010

New Look Sleepwewar - 6859

I bought this pattern for the capri pants. It also includes full length pants in three styles and shorts.

This was a really good pattern. The only part that I got hung up on was the pockets. This was just due to my inexperience, having not sewn pockets like these before. Once I figured it out, the rest was smooth sailing.

I really liked the way the waist was done on these. Slightly different from the other pj pants I have sewn. The elastic is put through the casing via a small slit opening and the button hole opening is fore the decorative ribbon tie.

I have sewn this once and have the material ready to be cut for a second pair.

The picture isn't very clear because my camera is broken so I had to use my cell phone camera.


Both my aunt and my mom have now been given their bday capri lounge pants so I have added a pic of them modeling them:

So, then I decided it was time to sew myself something! Using the same New Look 6859 pattern I decided to sew View A - the full length pant. Yet another new pocket style with these pants. This was my first sewing of a "yoke", which was also a part of the front pockets. I really liked how these came together and the fit is great. I left them long for my height because I hate a short pj pant and since they are flannel the potential for shrinkage is there (although I did preshrink fabric). I sewed a medium based on the pattern measurements and they are a bit on the large size, but for pj's I don't mind at all.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Simplicity 3571 Pajamas

This was a really good project. This was my first time sewing a shirt. I also finally figured out what I was doing wrong sewing my pant legs together (thanks to a helpful member of Pattern Review). As a result, these pants turned out much better than the first pair!!

I had a LOT of problems figuring out how to attach the under collar and the upper collar/front facings. In the end, I figured out how to put it all together, but I had taken it apart so many times that I had some difficulty with my seams and getting a nice finish to the edges (as the picture shows)

This set was made for my aunt, who prefers a short sleeve. So, this was made using View E.

I am now using the same pattern to make View C, for my mom. I am about half way through that project. So far, so good. This View is also giving me the opportunity to learn to sew in piping.

If that all goes well I will make myself a set, using View D. This will be the most complicated, as it includes piping and contrast fabric on the sleeve and collar.

Okay, so here's the 2nd set, made using View C. As you can see from the pictures, I still couldn't get the collar exactly the same on either side, but I'm getting closer!

The pants were a bit short for my mom, so I added length by cutting an additional 3 inch band and attaching to the bottom of each leg, using piping. I followed the same directions as for attaching the cuff to the sleeve and it worked out perfectly!

The piping went alright, for my first time. It wasn't until I got to the final section with piping that I figured out the proper way to tuck the ends under (pictured).

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My First Sewing Project Using a Pattern - PJ Pants

This is my first sewing project using an actual pattern!

These PJ pants turned out perfectly, despite a few confusing moments (okay hours).

Unfortunately I bought the wrong pattern size, so they are Extra Large, which, thanks to my dedication to Jenny Craig, are wayyyy to big.

Oh well, I'm sure they will be perfect on those days that I want to be extra comfy!!

Posted by Picasa