This was a really good project. This was my first time sewing a shirt. I also finally figured out what I was doing wrong sewing my pant legs together (thanks to a helpful member of Pattern Review). As a result, these pants turned out much better than the first pair!!
I had a LOT of problems figuring out how to attach the under collar and the upper collar/front facings. In the end, I figured out how to put it all together, but I had taken it apart so many times that I had some difficulty with my seams and getting a nice finish to the edges (as the picture shows)
This set was made for my aunt, who prefers a short sleeve. So, this was made using View E.
I am now using the same pattern to make View C, for my mom. I am about half way through that project. So far, so good. This View is also giving me the opportunity to learn to sew in piping.
If that all goes well I will make myself a set, using View D. This will be the most complicated, as it includes piping and contrast fabric on the sleeve and collar.
Okay, so here's the 2nd set, made using View C. As you can see from the pictures, I still couldn't get the collar exactly the same on either side, but I'm getting closer!
The pants were a bit short for my mom, so I added length by cutting an additional 3 inch band and attaching to the bottom of each leg, using piping. I followed the same directions as for attaching the cuff to the sleeve and it worked out perfectly!
The piping went alright, for my first time. It wasn't until I got to the final section with piping that I figured out the proper way to tuck the ends under (pictured).